Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Is This All There Is? by Patricia Mann

Is This All There Is?Is This All There Is? by Patricia Mann


Beth Thomas has the perfect life. At thirty-five, she’s married to her college sweetheart, has two adorable kids, and teaches part time at the local university. But when a friend persuades Beth to go dancing on a rare night out, a chance meeting with twenty one year old Dave, one of her former students, changes the course of her life. Loud music, too much to drink, and the thrill of feeling young again lead to an unforgettable kiss that was never supposed to happen. As she tries to put the memory behind her, Dave’s pursuit leaves Beth torn between what her mind says is right and what her heart and body crave.






Juls Review My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First thing I did after reading this book, I went and kissed my husband. Not just a peck but a full on tongue twirling make love to his mouth kinda kiss. I wanted him to know that I desired him above all else.

I honestly can’t say I liked this book. My heart still hurts from it. There were so many real emotions that I went through and the process of what happened breaks me up inside. I silently begged Beth not to do the things she was doing and when she didnt listen to me, I was really upset with her. Not like me being upset with a character in a book like she is but like she was a friend of mine and I just couldn't believe she would do this to herself.


I totally get where she's coming from. Especially as a woman, a wife, a mother. We take everything upon ourselves to get it done and done right. She felt like her world was coming apart and a small glimmer of hope comes in the form of a young college kid. He says the right thing and with just a simple word everything is thrown out the window.


It was never about someone new. To be loved, lusted, appreciated, and cherished, it didn't have to come from her husband.


Beth never anticipated her life to spiral out of control but what she thought was innocent flirting turned into gut wrenching torture of the cruelest kind. She couldn't get enough of him and the more she got a taste the more she couldn't wait for the next moment with him. But that high didnt stick around for long and right when she thought she was on cloud nine her world comes shattering back to reality and none of the pieces fit back together like they used to.


Personally the ending would have been different had this happened to me but the way things wrapped up in the story felt more like reality.


Thank you Ms. Mann for allowing me to review this book.



Jen's review - 

** warning - a lot of personal feelings mixed with the summery of this book – 


I was not expecting this type of book. There was a lot of personal feelings in this book for me, so I was struggling with rather I should finish reading it or not. 


Everyone struggles in their marriage. And anyone who says they haven't had a couple of weeks or months where their marriage was put behind other things is probably going through that phase right now, or hasn't gotten there yet :) 

My husband and I have been married 16 years, and I was 4 months pregnant when we got married. It wasn't a shot gun wedding by any means, and neither was Rick and Beth's wedding. They fell in love, they got pregnant and decided to start their future together sooner. 

And like Beth, eating for comfort when your husband isn't there to give it. Taking on the toll of your kids and the house, the working outside of the home. 
I think Beth had it a little easier than I did. She had her mother and mother in law always wanting to take the kids for a few hours here or there. But Beth wasn't happy with her marriage, so she drowned herself in her love for her children, and felt no one could take care of them like she could. 

But when Beth's Friend Rachelle talked her into going out with her one night, Beth found another way to feel appreciated. 

Personal note... I go out with my girlfriends all the time. Dancing, movies, dinner - whatever - but I've never once felt the desire to hang out with another guy. 

This is the part of the book that really got me down. Beth ran into a few guys she taught at the university. And it was fun to have the guys flirt with her. Hang out and show interest in her. 
And when Dave started paying extra attention, and buying more drinks, Beth got in a little over her head. 

We can blame the alcohol for that. I don't drink, so I don't know what it's like to lose my head in alcohol like she did. 

But when she saw him again, she was fully sober, and when he kissed her again I wanted to personally slap her myself. 

Then we meet Jill - Jill is ok with cheating on her husband. And is actually encouraging Beth to go farther with Dave because he makes her feel good in ways Rick, Beth's husband doesn't, or hasn't in a long time. 

I do know I would never be able to forgive or forget if my husband ever cheated on me, and I would expect the same from him. So to read about Jill encouraging this, really pissed me off. 

But another thing I was upset about, is you can see Rick trying. He seemed to want to fix things with Beth, even after she told him she wasn't happy. And I seriously didn't understand WHY she would push Rick back and go back to thinking about Dave... 

Well like I said, this book disturbed me in a lot of personal ways.
It doesn't leave you feeling awful at the end. There is hope. And anyone who has struggled in their own marriage knows that when both people want to stay together, it will take some work.


No comments: