Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Rule by jay Crownover

Rule (Rule #1)Rule by Jay Crownover
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had loved Rule Archer since the first moment I ever laid eyes on him. He was everything I shouldn't want and the only person I went out of my way to not try and please. He only saw me as a brat, and an entitled, stuck up princess but worse than that all he saw when he looked at me was his deceased twin's girl. It broke my heart because as much as I had loved Remy Archer there was never anything romantic between us and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that loving Rule was a terrible idea, my poor heart just wouldn't listen. We tolerated each other, barely and had forged an uneasy alliance until one night I had too much to drink and changed the way we were forever. Suddenly life long secrets were no longer hidden and the one thing I always wanted for myself seemed obtainable as long as I was willing to go through hell to hold onto it.

Shaw Landon was a class act and I had no idea what to do with her. She was tied to my family, tied to the person that was my other half so I tolerated her and her haughty attitude when I didn't have any other choice. What I didn't know was that a short skirt and too many cocktails on her birthday was going to change my outlook on her for the rest of my life. Some people thought I hid behind all my tattoos and piercings, that I tried to distance myself from my dead twin, Shaw saw through it all and wasn't scared of what was underneath. We weren't supposed to be together, weren't supposed to be anything but uncomfortable acquaintances but that all changed in the blink of an eye. Now I had to figure out just how a girl like her and a guy like me were supposed to be in love without destroying each other. Add in her custom made ex and two disapproving sets of parents and the whole situation sounded like it was more trouble then it was worth.

Recommended for mature readers due to sexual content, language and drinking.




Juls Review

What do you get when you take one extreme, tats and piercings kinda guy and a sweet cardigan wearing kinda girl?

A love like no other.


Shaw has been in love with Rule since she was 13 and now at the age of 20 she's wants to give him everything. Her body mind and soul. But Rule has reservations. Shaw is/was his twin brother's girl. Or so he thought. Shaw's birthday brings the two together and it changes Rule's outlook on everything.


At first when Rule finally saw Shaw as a woman and not the innocent girl that he'd first met when she was younger I didnt think there was much there. And even when they were together it kinda seemed awkward. Shaw had to wear something completely non cardigan for him to see her as a woman. I think his lust for her would have seemed a bit more real if he had a bit of interest in her even before then.

But with that said and moving forward their love and respect grow for each other until a secret about his brother is revealed and Rule thinks his other half, he may have never really known him.

Shaw comes with baggage and the only thing she ever really wanted was to be loved and when Rule spurns her for the last time she puts all her guards down. Feeling defeated she forgets that she needs to keep her eyes open and before she knows it she ends up in the hospital.


I really enjoyed this book until I got to the epilogue. I really like Shaw. She was a strong female lead but what made me not like her so much at the end was her marking herself. Rule constantly mentioned her flawless skin and yet at the end she's got tats all over her. I know the author was trying to make it seem like Shaw wanted them but what I got from it was she was doing for Rule. She didnt need to do anything to change her. She had an epiphany towards the end, she should have stuck by that and been herself.






Jen's Review

 I really like these kinds of stories.

The bad boy and the good girl.

Rule was a bad boy with a capital T - The drinking the woman, he was everywhere. And he loved that it was so easy for him to get.

When Shaw picked up Rule every week for a trip to his parents’ house, she had to see things that hurt her beyond anything. Rule never knew how she felt about him. And she wasn't going to tell him. She knew he wouldn't change for her. She was a good girl. did what her parents told her, even if it wasn't what she wanted.

That is until Gabe came around. That's when Shaw said enough was enough. Even going against her parents, she just couldn't deal with her ex stalking her.

During Shaw's 20th birthday party, her BFF gets her a fake ID and they hit the clubs. HARD!
When she's pretty sloshed, Rule strides up and takes her back to his place. He knows she's drunk but he's finally starting to see her as a woman instead of the little girl he knew when they were kids.
But as persistent and drunk as Shaw is, she's NOT going to let Rule tell her no! At least not tonight.

When Rule wakes up, he realizes what happened and when he finds Shaw gone, he doesn't know how to handle things.
She's ruined him for other girls!

Rule doesn't know how to love. His family has never treated him as the good brother, and he's always rebelled against his parents, letting them know he could do whatever he wanted. So when things with Shaw started to get a little hard and he had to work at their relationship, Rule got spooked. He wasn't use to working for things.. especially women.

This was really a cute book to read. I enjoyed it :)

No comments: