Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Vain by Fisher Amelie

VainVain by Fisher Amelie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.



Juls review
Well color me surprised! I have to be honest, when I started this book I absofuckinlutely hated it. I hated Sophie so much and the way she treated people was atrocious! I don’t care how rich you are, you don’t treat people the way she did/does. But pretty lil miss gets it like no other. Her daddy’s money cant save her now. She’s been sentenced to 6 months in Uganda. No more flashy parties or people at her beck and call. Sophie is now somebody else bitch.

Now what I felt about Sophie at the beginning of the book soon changed into admiration. What starts out as a punishment changes her life forever. Life in Uganda is hard and brutal and Sophie witnesses it firsthand. The harsh way of life and poverty wakes in her a newfound awareness that its not just about not getting ones love from parents or a boy rejecting you. There’s so much more at stake. Survival!

Sophie really grew on me and I felt her change. She started to bloom into a normal caring human being that we are all capable of and I couldn’t but help but root for her in the end.

Ian has demons in his closet but with the changes he sees in Sophie he no longer fights the attraction for her but embraces her and together they know that if they work together they can make way to help the world one child at a time.

Very moving story.

View all my reviews

No comments: