Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Against the Ropes by Sarah Castille

Against the Ropes



He scared me. He thrilled me. And after one touch, all I could think about was getting more…

Makayla never thought she’d set foot in an underground mixed-martial arts club. But if anyone needs a medic on hand, it’s these guys. Trouble is, at her first sight of the club’s owner she’s the one feeling breathless.

All sleek muscle and restrained power, the man they call Torment plays to win at any cost. Whether it’s in the ring or in the bedroom, he knows exactly when to use a soft touch and when to launch a full-on assault. He always knows just how far he can push. And he’s about to tempt Makayla in ways she never imagined…


excerpt : 
taken from Sarah Castille webpage - 

Run. I should run. But all I can do is stare.

His fight shorts are slung deliciously low on his narrow hips, hugging his powerful thighs. Hard, thick muscles ripple across the broad expanse of his chest, tapering down to a taut, corrugated abdomen. But most striking are the tattoos covering over half of his upper body—a hypnotizing cocktail of curving, flowing tribal designs that just beg to be touched.

He stops only a foot away and I crane my neck up to look at his face.

God is he gorgeous.

His high cheekbones are sharply cut, his jaw square, and his eyes dark brown and flecked with gold. His aquiline nose is slightly off-center, as if it had been broken and not properly reset, but instead of detracting from his breathtaking good looks, it gives him a dangerous appeal. His hair is hidden beneath a black bandana, but a few tawny, brown tufts have escaped from the edges and curl down past the base of his neck.

A smile ghosts his full lips as he studies me. A lithe and powerful animal assessing its prey.

My finely tuned instinct of self-preservation forces me back against the ropes and away from his intoxicating scent of soap and leather and the faintest kiss of the ocean.

“Excuse me…Torment. I…thought you forgot to buy a ticket, but…um…I don’t think you really need one. Do you?”

“A ticket?” His low-pitched, husky, sensual voice could seduce a saint. Or a young college grad trying to supplement her meager salary by selling tickets at a fight club.

My heart thunders in my chest and I lick my lips. His eyes lock on my mouth, and my tongue freezes mid-stroke before beating a hasty retreat behind my Pink Innocence glossed lips.

He steps forward and I press myself harder against the springy ropes, wincing as they bite into my skin through my thin T-shirt.

“Are you Amanda?”

With herculean effort, I manage to pry my tongue off the roof of my mouth. “I’m the best friend.”

He lifts an eyebrow. “Does the best friend have a name?”

“Mac.”

“Doesn’t suit you. Do you have a different name?”

“What do you mean a different name? That’s my name. Well, it’s my nickname. But that’s what people call me. I’m not going to choose another name just because you don’t like it.” My hands find my hips, and I give him my second-best scowl—my best scowl being reserved for less handsome irritating men.

His gaze drifts down to the bright white “FCUK Me” lettering now stretched tight across my overly generous breasts. With my every breath, the letters expand and retract like a flashing neon sign. I hate my sister.

He leans so close I can see every contour of bone and sinew in his chest and the more intricate patterns in his tribal tattoos. The flexible ropes accommodate my last retreat, and I brace myself, trembling, against them.

“What’s your real name?” he rumbles.

“Makayla.” Oh, betraying lips.

He smiles and his eyes crinkle at the corners. “Makayla is a beautiful name. I’ll call you Makayla.”

Heat roars through me like a tidal wave. He likes my name. “So…about that ticket—”




Sarah Castille
Sarah Castille 

Author's Bio : 
Recovering lawyer, karate practitioner, and caffeine addict, Sarah Castille worked and traveled abroad before trading her briefcase and stilettos for a handful of magic beans and a home near the Canadian Rockies. Her steamy, contemporary romantic tales feature blazingly hot alpha heroes and the women who tame them.

  

Order the book TODAY! 
Amazon -  Barns & Noble  -   Kobo  





Jen's Review - 
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I really REALLY enjoyed this book :)

T ornament is violent, strong headed, good looking, rich and top dog in the underground MMA fights clubs - he strives to be the best, train the best, and he will fight for the best.

Mac is anything but a fighter. In fact, she hates violence so much she literally gets sick.

When she's helping out her BFF Amanda sell tickets to watch Amanda's boyfriend Jake fight - but when one guy tries to cut through the line and walk in the warehouse without paying, Mac goes after him.

When she gets caught by one of the other guys, she starts to panic when he forces her into the ring. Tells her if she can get the guy to pay for the ticket, she wont have to fight him... Mac freaks out - she is anything but violent, but when she gets a look at the guy who didn't pay, the fight comes out of her, and she's able to tell him off.

Smirking, T ornament puts Makayla in her place. but when he learns that she has EMT training, he offers her a job.
Makayla is in need of money ASAP to help pay off her debts, but is she strong enough to tend to those that get hurt in the ring?? After all, she can't stomach the sounds of flesh hitting bones, how is she going to do this??

Makayla excepts the job, when she tends to one of the fighters, she is sweet and compassion, and able to help him with his emotional state as well as his physical state.
But when T ornament comes into the first aid office, all controlling, dominant and scary, she turns tail and runs...

T ornament isn't one to back down from a challenge. And Makayla is the challenge he wants.

This controlling, Dominant, Alpha male of a guy bullies his way into Makayla's heart. And when Makayla learns his real name, and who he is... she freaks out for a totally different reason.

Is she strong enough to be able to handle his violent temper inside and out of the bedroom?? Can she deal with her own emotional problems, and still be able to trust him not to hurt her??

I wouldn't call this a BDSM book - but there is light bondage in it, and a safe-word - maybe a couple little light things added in for fun, but the best part of this book is the way T ornament loves Makayla, and wants to protect her, and love her.

I love the MMA - and there is a lot of underground fighting taking place in this book. I've never liked violence, but I love watching fights in the ring - so I was impressed with the different types of holds,hits and kicks that they mentioned in this book :)

Cute story all together ♥



View all my reviews

No comments: